Comments

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Friday Q&A: Shaky Legs

Red Bud Tree in Transition by Nina Zolotow
Q: Shaky legs towards mid to end of practice (standing poses and prone, like locust with lifted legs), what makes this happen? (I'm guessing they are tired.) And how to address this? Is it just a matter of strengthening?

A: Dear Shaky Legs,

Let me begin by saying that you are not alone with this phenomenon. In fact, for the first year or so of my asana practice, I'd experience the same thing, especially in poses that were held for a long time. It would sometimes recur if the level of difficulty of my asana classes went up, such as when I graduated myself from the beginner level classes to the intermediate level. In all likelihood, the muscles that start to shake are becoming fatigued to the point that the normal sustained contraction cannot be held, so you get this on-off thing happening that is felt as shaking. It may be a build up of lactic acid in the muscles, the by-product of the energy used to contract the muscles, and evidence the muscles probably need a respite. This reaction usually improves as you practice more regularly and work on the offending poses a bit in your home practice. This will begin to increase your endurance and the shaking will be a fond memory of what it was like early on in your yoga history!

Sincerely,

Baxter

A: I, too, experienced shaky legs during my early years of yoga practice. Shari reports that fatigue causes “muscle fasciculation,” which is incomplete contractions because the muscle efficiency has been reached and it is fatiguing. She suggests that you honor the fatigue and rest your legs. I’d like to add that I think it’s not just a matter of leg strength per se, but rather than in yoga asana we’re using our legs differently than we do in walking, running, or other forms of exercise. The example you gave of Locust pose illustrates this, because we don’t normally lift our legs backward behind us. That’s why it is only by doing more yoga (and those very same poses that fatigue your legs) that you’ll gain more endurance in those poses. I myself noticed the shaking after the strenuous poses, when I was in an inversion, such as Shoulderstand or even in a resting pose. So you might experiment with doing leg stretches after the poses that make your legs shaky to see if that helps relieve the muscle tension and relaxes your legs (and leg stretches are great counter-poses for backbends, partly because they do relax your legs after their hard work lifting you into a backbend).

—Nina

Subscribe to YOGA FOR HEALTHY AGING by Email ° Follow Yoga for Healthy Aging on Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment