Comments

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Yoga for Healthy Eating: An Interview with Dayna Macy

by Nina

Although we haven’t addressed the issue so far on this blog, we’re all aware that maintaining healthy eating habits and a healthy weight as we age is vital for healthy aging. As Dr. Timothy McCall says in Yoga As Medicine: 

“This is a matter of serious concern because there is little doubt that being overweight can have major health consequences, including type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, heart disease, and some forms of cancer. Extra body weight makes back problems more likely, increase the strain on the joints, and can contribute to or worsen injuries to ankles, knees, hips and other vulnerable areas of the body.”

And Brad says that being overweight may contribute to a shorter health span (the years of your life during which you are relatively healthy) as well as a shorter life span. So recently Baxter and I decided that we wanted to learn more about how yoga can help with healthy eating. As a first step, I decided to interview Dayna Macy, who is a long-time yoga practitioner and the author of Ravenous, which describes how her yoga practice helped her lose weight and develop healthier eating habits for life.

Nina: Can you tell us a little about your weight issues and how yoga has helped you with maintaining healthier eating habits?

Dayna: I've overeaten for most of my life. It wasn't until I hit 35 that my habits really started to catch up with me. I put on a lot of weight and that made my yoga practice, and my life, difficult. Extra weight made it difficult to do any kind of flowing asana. And it made standing poses and inversions more difficult as well, because it was hard to hold a pose for any length of time. My extra weight also made it harder to simply move through my day. Hiking, cleaning, walking the dog, the stuff of daily life is made more difficult when you have excess weight. When I reached my mid-forties, I realized that if I didn't really start to get a grip on my issues, I was looking at a less than optimal midlife and old age. 

I think it's always wise to start where you are, and yoga is a fundamental part of my life. I've been practicing for twenty years. Who and what you are shows up on the mat, and I knew that the practice itself could help me see myself more clearly. It helps you "be here now" and that is essential when wrestling with issues of habit and addiction.

Nina: Are there any particular yoga poses or practices that you found especially helpful for healthier eating and that you would recommend to other people? 

Dayna: I have learned to pay deep attention to my feet and how my feet are grounded on the mat. It is essential to learn to literally ground your body when you are working with old samskaras and habits that you want to unwind. I also found slow and attentive sun salutations very useful. It builds tapas and heat, and for people who are carrying extra weight, it is important to slowly burn your inner fire.

Nina: Now that your book has been published, have you heard anything from other people who have also been able to change their eating habits? If so, what about your story do you think has inspired them the most? 

Dayna: What I learned most is that just like yoga is a practice, so is learning to eat in a way that serves your body. Most people don't just sit in Lotus, they work to open their hips and one day, maybe, they get there. It's the same with food. You are discovering who you are in your relationship with eating. You don't just wake up one day and say, "ah ha! This is the perfect way to eat! Now I will do this perfectly from now on!" Knowledge is earned and learned, one day at a time. The truth must resonate and live in your body to become real change.

This sense of slow change is helpful for people. It gives them breathing room to experiment and learn. We hear a lot in yoga about how there is no perfect pose. I would say you could also say that about eating, weight and our bodies. In the course of my journey, I lost about 25 pounds. I'm still a curvy girl. And frankly, even at my thinnest, I was still a curvy girl. What I've learned is that I am so grateful for my body. Today, at 51, I'm healthy, active, and my body works. It's a miracle. I spend less and less time wishing I were something other, and more time grateful for what I am. This is the gift of yoga. 

Photo by Victoria Yee
 Dayna Macy is the communications director and managing editor of international editions for Yoga Journal. Her book, Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom, was recently published by Hay House. See www.daynamacy.com for more information about Dayna and her book.


0 comments:

Post a Comment