Comments

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Healthy Eating and Your Digestive System

by Baxter

I recently heard from a colleague of mine in Portland, Vilma Z, who has hosted me at her lovely studio The Yoga Project in the Sellwood neighborhood over the years.  She was very excited and proud to let me know about a new project she had just completed, a calendar featuring the students from her highly popular class “Yoga for Larger Women.” Vilma has been working with larger women in Portland now for several years, and her experiences and the experiences of her students can be found on the website yogaforthelargerwoman.com. Please go there and read for yourself the amazing transformations these students describe.

Janet from the Yoga for Larger Women Calender
And then this past weekend, I once again offered my workshop on Yoga and the Digestive System.  As part of that course, during Savasana, I guide the students through a journey of their digestive system for start to finish. The last time I taught this guided visualization, several students asked if I had it recorded so they could do the journey again on their own. So, this weekend, honoring that request, I recorded the Journey Through Your Digestive System, and it is now available on Bandcamp at yogaforhealthyaging.bandcamp.com, where you can play it at any time or download it in any number of formats.



I’ve decided to share this recording with you today as part of our series exploring Yoga for Healthy Eating. You might ask yourself the question, “What does having a better understanding of my digestive system have to do with helping me foster healthy eating habits?” Well, one of Vilma’s students, Janet Wieneke, has this to say, which I think has great bearing on this question:

“Around the same time, the thought hit me that I had been dragging this body around for all these past 50 years instead of really living in it.   It came to me that I had not claimed this body, not moved into this body. I was renting it, but I didn’t live there. I didn’t want to live there—in the “undesirable” section of town.

That began to change though when I realized no amount of wishing, bargaining or promising will change the fact that this is my body and that it benefits me greatly to “step up” and partner with my abilities, instead of wishing that things were different.”

So the aspect of healthy eating that has to do with understanding your digestive system is learning to really live in and feel your body, noticing how different foods and meal sizes make you feel, and so on, instead of just wishing things were different. The more in tune you become with how your ingestion and digestion of food makes you feel, the more likely you are to make better decisions in the future regarding healthy eating.

And if you want to support Vilma’s work with larger women in Portland, buy a 2013 Calendar here . The photos—and the women—are lovely! And if you want to support our ongoing work here at Yoga For Healthy Aging, consider purchasing your audio track of the digestive journey from Bandcamp. And let us know how you liked the tour!

0 comments:

Post a Comment