Comments

Monday, December 17, 2012

Bringing Yoga to Her Community: An Interview with Muriel Zimmerman

by Nina

Starting this blog with Brad and Baxter was the beginning of an adventure. Naturally we hoped there was an audience for our information on yoga and aging, but we didn’t think too much about who those people would be. Now, just over a year later, we find that we have readers not just all over our country, but also all over the world. And the information we’ve been providing has not only influenced the way people have been practicing and teaching but has inspired a couple of people to start yoga classes in their community. I have to say that hearing about new community classes  touched me more than just any of the other feedback we’ve received about our blog.

Recently I had the opportunity to meet one of those people, Muriel Zimmerman, in person, and when she shared with me some of the details about the yoga class she had started in her community, I just knew I had to interview her.

Nina: Can you tell us something about yourself and your job?

Muriel: I have been the Executive Director of the Children and Family Center of Northwest Missouri for ten years. The Children and Family Center of Northwest Missouri serves victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. We provided 4065 direct services (crisis management, case management, court advocacy, shelter, hot line and support groups) to 636 females, males and children this past year). Prior to that I was the Adult/Community Education Coordinator for the Maryville RII School District for eighteen years. For me, life is a balance between physical, emotional and spiritual. I’ve love all parts of my life—being a caregiver, patient advocate, work, being a parent, and facilitating support groups, teaching a variety of classes—while trying to balance taking care of myself.

I’d always been physically active, but hated to “exercise” and never seemed to find the time to take care of “me.” For eighteen years, work days often went from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. with an hour break early evening to be home for dinner with the children. Being an emotional eater, meds from cancer treatments, hating cold weather and exercise resulted in a forty-pound weight gain. I have a library of self-help books, yoga tapes, etc. And I avidly believe in “lifelong learning.” I don’t even want to think about how many times I’ve journalled a “healthy me” program, involving keeping a daily food record, taking time for my spiritual journey, planning an exercise program, weighing myself. I’ve even taught nutrition classes. And when I haven’t felt successful, I’ve gradually given up.

But approximately seventeen years ago, I found a yoga teacher who taught classes one night a week. And I was “hooked” on yoga and all it had to offer. I was flexible and gradually found I was gaining more upper body strength, flexibility, and reducing stress. I found a good yoga routine and put it to music for a twenty-minute routine that I could do at home. I even have a chair yoga tape that shows movements for slow, medium, and advanced. But it sits on my shelf. Going to the gym and doing yoga in a class works for me. I think it has to do with the fact that I’m “missed” if I am not there, and I need some social interaction as one of the “vital needs” in my life.

Nina: What inspired you to start a yoga class?

Muriel: As an Adult Education Coordinator, I had the option to develop any community education classes for all ages I wanted to. A lot of my friends were complaining that they had no upper body strength, no balance or flexibility, fell often, were stressed, and problems they blamed on aging.  Their vocabulary focused on the words “could”, “should,” “would”, “but” or “if”.  WRONG.  I didn’t think this had to happen. I went to the Community Center and talked to staff about the number of individuals in the community who were “rehabbing,” needed or had knee replacements or hip replacements, or were overweight, had health issues, and other numerous “excuses” or “reasons” why they could not exercise. I knew from my previous health issues that those issues would only get worse. We had a choice: to have a quality life or not. We needed a safe, nurturing place to explore yoga with well-qualified instructors who would teach, monitor, explain and encourage us

Nina: What is the yoga class like?

Muriel: I think individuals are more apt to try something new if they know it will meet some basic need in their lives. Our chair yoga class is informal. It is currently taught on Wednesday and Fridays at 10:00-10:45 a.m., which is the same time and location that Senior Circuit Training is taught. That, itself, reduces stress for adults. There are lots of windows on the south side of the classroom. We sit with our backs to the window and the lights off, soft music, fans turned down and folding chairs with plenty of space between us. We are mostly older adults. We feel safe and nurtured in a small class (twelve maximum).

The instructor always tells us to do things at our own pace. At the beginning of each class she suggests that we might set our intention for the class: to breathe easily, to reduce stress, to strength, to become more flexible, to balance. This will be different on different days. What does our body tell us today? We are learning to be aware of our bodies.  She encourages us to put aside all the multitasking thoughts we have and focus on the moment, to be mindful and come back to our breath when our minds start to wander.

She always has a quote posted on a small white board at the front of the room stating the benefits of yoga or thought for the day.  She talks a lot about working with adults in nursing homes; as we do different stretches she tells us how that movement will benefit us (such as, the benefits of lying down flat on a bed to nap rather than sitting on our spine in a recliner chair with our feet propped up and our backs curved). She keeps reminding us to breathe easily. She always shows alternate movements and reminds us of small movements we can do at home.

We always start with a sitting routine. About half way through she will give us the option of doing the Warrior and other positions either sitting or standing behind the chair (using the chair for balance).  She tries to challenge us within our abilities. We always work on balance and strengthening and upper body and lower body movements. We find that some of these same movements are in the senior circuit classes, especially the relaxation movements at the end of class. It all works together. At the end of each class has enough time for relaxation that we all seem calm, relaxed, and peaceful. She always stays around for a few minutes after class so we can ask individual questions or comment on the class.

Nina: Is there anything else you’d like to tell our readers?

Muriel: We all have choices to a healthy lifestyle—how we spend our time, our talents and our money. We have our addictions (like chocolate, playing free cell on my laptop propped up in a recliner chair, etc.), our excuses, our priorities, our habits and routines. I just need to keep saying to myself, “don’t be judgmental or critical of myself and definitely not of others,” take it a step and a day at a time, determine what my vital needs are for a healthy life, and give myself a pat on the back when I take advantage of opportunities to improve my health.

The benefits of yoga for me? I’ve strengthened the muscles around the torn ligaments and my core. I no longer wear leg braces. My balance has improved. I’ve lost 25 pounds. I can “transfer” more easily (get out of bed and stand up straight without pain), go on walks without first thinking how far I might be able to walk and will I have the energy or strength to get back home. I’m finally starting to focus on “me” and feel I’m as important as anyone I care for.  I’m learning to understand my body, accept my strengths and weaknesses, keep a positive attitude and not feel guilty when I take time for yoga and myself. I feel more confident, have more energy, and definitely feel better about myself. I look forward to checking out this blog and learning how to age gracefully and enjoy each moment of my life. I just hope my story helps someone make the decision to explore the options of yoga and what life has to offer.

Muriel Zimmerman has always lived in the Midwest, and has worked as a teacher, Adult Education Coordinator, and is Executive Director of a domestic violence center, and active community volunteer. Her favorite pastimes are her perennial flower beds, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and being “Granma.” She is transitioning into retirement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment