Comments

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Friday Q&A: Cautions for Inversions

Legs Up the Wall Pose (Viparita Karani)
Q: I’ve heard that some people should not do inversions, but you didn’t mention this in your post on Wednesday about inverted poses. Could address this?

A: Oops! My bad, as Buffy would say. It’s true that for certain medical conditions, inverted poses are, as they say, contraindicated. So I’m sorry I did not mention this earlier in my post Just in Time for the Holidays: Inverted Poses.

First off, the poses you may need to be concerned about only include the full inversions and some of the partial inversions that are held for long periods of time.

If you have high blood pressure that is uncontrolled with medication, you should not do inverted poses, because, as I explained in my post (see here) they temporarily raise your blood pressure. And even if your high blood pressure is controlled with medication, talking with your doctor before doing full inverted poses is probably a good idea. People with heart problems should also consult their doctors.

If you are having eye problems, such as glaucoma or detached retina, inversions should also be avoided. Likewise, if you've recently had oral surgery. And those with neck problems should avoid the inversions that put pressure on their necks.

People with back problems will probably find that at least some of these poses may cause back pain, in which case, you should please come out of the pose and find an alternative (I’ve noticed Supported Bridge pose and Legs up the Wall pose can cause difficulties for people with lower back problems).

There are many yoga teachers who do not recommend inverted poses for women who are menstruating. However, as far as I know, there are no scientific studies to back up their concerns. What I recommend is that each of you do your own research on the subject, talking to your teachers, your gynecologist (I did that), and other female practitioners, and make up your own mind based on their advice.

Finally, if you are pregnant and not already experienced doing inverted poses, this is probably not the best time for you to start. 

—Nina

0 comments:

Post a Comment