Comments

Friday, November 11, 2011

Thursday Q&A: Head Rolls

Q: I note that you don’t recommend 360 head rolls, but there seems to be great variation in this among yoga instructors (as well as other types of instructors). Could you please explain the issues with particular reference to us older folks? 

I don’t do neck rolls that move the head back into extension, especially if I have older students in class, as there is a risk of causing pain in the neck from several sources, including the facet joints, nerves and vertebral artery.

I prefer to introduce gentle neck extension against gravity via poses like Locust and Cobra, where there seems to be less chance of trouble arising in this area. I also teach to variations of neck releasing movements to my students. One, called Owl Turns, involves looking to the right or left as far as you can go with a bit of stretch. The second one, called Curious Dog Tips, involves tipping the head to right or left as far as you can go with a bit of stretch, ear to shoulder on that side. 

—Baxter

0 comments:

Post a Comment