Comments

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Music for Savasana: A Gift from Baxter

by Baxter

One of my New Year’s Intentions the past two New Year’s Eves, 2010 and 2011, was to play as much music in the coming year as I possibly could. I had discovered how much joy creating and participating in music is for me on a more conscious level in the past several years, perhaps influenced by the quieting and reflective effects of my ongoing yoga practice. And I decided I wanted more!

And the last two years have definitely exploded with music for me! Playing with friends, performing at art openings, and even sitting in with touring kirtan bands. And even prior to the last two years, if you have ever attended one of my weekend workshops or week long retreats, you know how I love to play my violin for you at the end of class during Savasana. From the feedback I routinely get at these events, I’ve learned that yoga practitioners are moved by the presence of music during this time of rest, reflection and integration.

The asana and pranayama practice releases so much held physical and mental/emotional tension that yoga practitioners seem keenly receptive to the power of sound. I’ve heard back from listeners that it liberated long forgotten memories, touched and released emotions and deepened the experience of Savasana, which for many of us was an early reason we kept coming back to the yoga practice.

So, my intention this year is to record 50 minutes of music, broken up into Savasana-like morsels, all original works, for your enjoyment. As a kick-off, I have recorded a six-minute track for you to listen to here during your next home practice Savasana.

You can listen for free on this blog or from our Band Camp page. I made it six minutes so you can take three to four minutes after the music ends to drop even deeper into your Savasana, or you can make your rest a short six-minute one. I prefer a ten- minute Savasana personally, as it gives time for the Relaxation Response to take full effect. But however you chose to use it, I hope this music adds to the deepening of your practice in 2013.

And for those who would like to own a copy of the first of my recordings, there is a $2 dollar minimum donation to purchase from Band Camp. The proceeds go to Band Camp and to help us defray the costs of producing our blog five days a week. And if you are so moved, you can of course donate more than that!  Finally, a favorite poem of mine by Sufi poet Hafiz:

When the Violin

When the violin can forgive the past it
starts singing.

When the violin can stop worrying about
the future

you will become such a drunk laughing
nuisance

the Sun will then lean down and start
Combing you into its hair.

When the violin can forgive every wound
caused by others

your soul, your soul will start singing.

Translation by Daniel Ladisnky

Namaste,

Baxter

0 comments:

Post a Comment