Comments

Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday Q&A: Finding a Yoga Teacher

Lady Bug and Flower by Melina Meza
Q: I started taking yoga classes 6 months ago at my gym, and no longer work out with weights (after 10 years!). I feel the instructor has a spiritual side but also leaves me feeling, dare I say, like I've had a workout. I would like to transition to a regular yoga studio, but how to choose the one that would work for me? I'm strong, but I have to consider that I'm 61 years old. I used to like vigorous exercise but it leaves me feeling wiped out instead of invigorated.

A: Unfortunately there is no easy answer to this question. In a way, finding the right yoga class might be like finding a house to buy. You can do all the research you like, looking at photos and inspection reports, but in the end, you need to go see it (maybe even more than once) to determine whether it is the right house for you. But it really is worth taking your time to find the right yoga class for you. Not only will you have a better experience with the right class, the right teacher will be someone who inspires your practice

But what the heck—I guess it's because I used to be a technical writer—I've decided to outline three basic steps for finding the right yoga class for you:

1. Find out what's available in your area. While it is tempting just to go to the closest studio to your home or work, I encourage you to check out several studios because the one closest to you is not necessarily the best one. For someone your age who has little yoga experience and doesn't want an overly demanding class, I'd say you might want to avoid the most athletic, physically demanding styles of yoga, such as Ashtanga (aka Power Yoga), Bikram, and Anusara. In general, the other styles, such as Iyengar, Viniyoga, Kripalu, Integral, and Kundalini (have I left out anything important?), will be more suitable for you, though anything billed as gentle yoga will not be too demanding. Obviously in your situation you'll want to start with a beginning or at least a level 1 class, if not gentle. (A class for "seniors" probably won't be enough of a workout for you.)

2. Look into the reputation of the studio and the teachers. You can ask people you know what studios and teachers they like or even look online for information and recommendations. Most studios have web sites, where you can read the biographies of the teachers on the staff. I suggest you do this, and that you look for someone who has had significant training (often the number of hours of training is specified) and teaching experience. In her post Finding the Right Yoga Teacher for You, guest poster Andy has some more specific pointers.

3. Try out several classes. Always start by arriving a bit early and introducing yourself to the teacher, and tell the teacher about any concerns you might have (see What Your Yoga Teacher Really Wants to Know). You'll soon find that you not only prefer one yoga style over another but also that you respond better to certain teaching styles and personalities. And you'll know when you find the right class when you find one that not only feels comfortable to you but when you realize that you are looking forward to going back to class!

Finally, this may sound odd, but why do you want to leave the teacher you already like so much? I myself, did "gym yoga" for over five years with two wonderful teachers who were very well trained. Although some gym yoga teachers are not well trained, there are quite a few who are and they may be just as good as those you'll find in a formal yoga studio. So if you love your current teacher, consider staying where you are!

—Nina

0 comments:

Post a Comment