Comments

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Help Wanted!

by Nina

Writing by Zhang Xiaogang*

Yes, we’re looking for some new people to contribute articles to our blog. As you may have noticed, a few of our regulars have stepped down, and besides we can always use some fresh ideas and points of few. We’re looking for articles on any aspect of yoga, including asana, pranayama, meditation, and philosophy. 

To write for us, you must have some experience either teaching or practicing yoga. If you are a yoga teacher, you should either have personally faced issues of interest to our YFHA readers or have experience teaching students who have. If you are a yoga practitioner who is not a teacher, we’d love to hear your personal story! Again, you should either have personally faced issues of interest to our YFHA readers or be using techniques or concepts you’ve learned from our blog in your personal practice (and be able to refer to specific articles that inspired you). 

You don’t have to be a professional writer to write for us, but you do have to feel comfortable putting a short article together. In certain cases, if you have a compelling story and can’t figure out how to express yourself in article, I would do an interview. But that interview would have to be in writing where I email questions that you respond to in email. (Many successful interviews on our blog have been conducted in just that way, such as The Way Home: Yoga for Grief.)

You should know that I edit all the posts on this blog. I mostly focus on grammar and clarity, but if I feel there is an error, a confusing section that I can’t untangle, or a statement that I feel is somehow inappropriate, I will work with the author on a revision. Sometimes if I think a piece is too abstract, I’ll ask for concrete examples to illustrate generalizations. However, I don’t edit for style or tone of voice because we definitely don’t just want upbeat and chirpy, if you know what I mean. In fact, we prefer down to earth and honest. Ranting is also allowed. Encouraged, even. I want you to sound like YOU.

As this is a non-commercial blog, we don’t pay for our articles. However, when you write for us (or are interviewed), you can include a bio with any appropriate links to other web sites to advertise your teaching, books, or videos. We don’t promote specific products on our blog, whether that means yoga clothes, props, or supplements of any kind, so any references to commercial products are not appropriate. 

So, what do you think? Are you at all interested? If you are, pitch me by writing me an email (see Contact Us) with your idea for an article (or interview) and something about yourself. I look forward to hearing from you!

Subscribe to Yoga for Healthy Aging by Email ° Follow Yoga for Healthy Aging on Facebook ° Join this site with Google Friend Connect

0 comments:

Post a Comment